Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Rhetoric from 'Across the Pond'

So, since this is my last blog post here, I thought I'd leave you all with a laugh.

Maybe.

You know how sometimes you can hear a joke and laugh, before you realize you have no idea why that joke was funny?  It's happened to me lots of times, and it's because the delivery  is so good that you can't help but laugh.

We didn't cover tone of voice very much in our class, not surprising since we were more involved in static digital rhetoric, but I thought it'd be interesting to see how much it does or does not contribute to our understanding, or in this case, amusement.

Rhod Gilbert, a Welshman, manages to be one of my favorite comedians, despite the fact that my not-at-all extensive knowledge of Great Britain's slang and/or terminology and/or pronnounciation (for instance, they say 'controversey'  con-TROH-versee, instead of CON-truhvursee) should by rights have made him harder for me to access.

Check out this clip of Rhod Gilbert's issues with inter-city trains, and see if you can still manage to find it funny without the aid of an American English/ English English dictionary:


No comments:

Post a Comment